Saturday 16 March 2013

Thoughts on defining research purpose

Trying to define my research purpose effectively has required extensive reading and critical thought to make sure that my purpose is properly defined

Chapter 5: The Introduction

The Research Problem – Creswell gives some good advice that relates general writing skills to the research context. We are normally trying to convey a very complex topic, so it is important that we consider how we are going to ‘hook’ our readers into the subject, and make sure we don’t bombard them with too much information too soon. There is also the need to make sure that our work is seen as a scholarly endeavour by outlining our links to the literature.
 
Studies Addressing the Problem – Using an inverted triangle seems like a good idea for the process of zeroing in on our research problem, using the wider body of literature to provide the background. We need to acknowledge that there are limitations in the literature we draw on (otherwise there wouldn’t be anything to research) and instead look for ways that the lessons learned or methods employed could inform our own research.

Deficiencies in Past Literature – Whilst avoiding outright condemnation of the existing literature, it is important to point out where it does not (or cannot) address our particular area. For instance, whilst I am planning to use Ke & Hoadley (2009) as a primary reference point for methods, it will be useful to explore the different contexts of the studies they included in their review - how many of the studies are based in the workplace? Referring to studies of learning in the workplace could help to draw links – thinking of the inverted triangle here.

Significance of a Study for Audiences – This does have some good points about writing for particular audiences, and trying to make the study appeal to a wide variety of people. Some of my original reservations remain around the default ‘market’ mentality!  Interestingly one of the sidebars mentions organisational mentalities, and may be worth following up in its own right.

Summary – The five part introduction model should serve well in conjunction with critical thought about my world view and the literature that I will use. The writing exercises will help me to set out my thinking ahead of writing the actual paper, and hopefully draw in some useful feedback. I will make sure that I give feedback to my peers first as an incentive for them to reciprocate, and to strengthen connections amongst the group.
 

Chapter 6: The Purpose Statement

 
Creswell states that this is the most important statement in the entire study – it effectively sets out the means by which others are actually going to be assessing the worth of your research.
 
Significance and Meaning of a Purpose Statement – The purpose statement is deliberately unpicked from the separate points of research problem (the wider issues) and research questions (the fine details of the study).
 
A Qualitative Purpose Statement – Careful use of language is required here. Using the draft script to produce some initial ideas and then going back through the text as a preliminary round of feedback sounds more sensible for learning than trying to construct one from the example words given. That way I can reflect on the differences between how I normally think internally, and the way I externalise this in my writing.
 
A Quantitative Purpose Statement – Although I consider that my study will be more qualitative in nature, it is worth considering the different way that a quantitative purpose statement should be written, so that I know the difference! Considering the variables that may affect an outcome and systematically investigating them is a hallmark of a quantitative study. Although I need to consider what factors may affect communities, I will not try to quantify them at this stage. Theory is implied as being more central to a quantitative study than a qualitative one.
 
A Mixed Method Purpose Statement – Understanding the previous two types of purpose is vital for properly introducing a mixed methods study, as the reader has to be able to distinguish between them through your writing. For success, there should be a central theory, and a single qualitative phenomenon under discussion.
 
Summary – Universal techniques underpin all of the types of study. Action words must be used for outlining the purpose, whilst keeping to non-directional language (i.e. avoid trying to prove a hypothesis through interfering with data acquisition). Mentioning the strategy for the enquiry, along with the participants and site to provide context, helps a reader further discern the relevance for them.
 

Influences on the selection of a research issue (Creswell)


Research agenda – Ultimately everything needs to be paid for! Reading through some of Creswell’s assumptions on the last unit led me to challenge the assumption that research has to be targeted at the greatest number of people. This actually fits more with a market philosophy, whereas I would rather that my research fitted into the network paradigm, and also be carried out for on-going practitioner development. My organisation wants more learning to go online, but there are likely to be many different perceptions of what does and does not work. I may actually be going against accepted wisdom with my desire to research this area!
 
Research issue – From my context, online communication actually becomes a potential measure for how successful a traditional learning event has been, as opposed to one where online interactions have not been present. The Research Problem can then be further defined as outlining effective ways of evaluating training success beyond the event, fitting in with the research agenda more closely.
 
Research question – Can online learning interactions increase the effectiveness of training programs, and when are they most likely to succeed?
 
Learning from a research agenda - This section gives some very good insights on how the research agenda can shift, and acknowledges the limitations of academic journals in our learning and research.

Determining a research issue - Generation of ideas, particularly questions, is dependent on having a rich and diverse environment.  In this way we are more likely to see alternative perspectives that allow us to challenge agendas and assumptions.

Kick-starting the search for a research issue - Whilst this is not the first research project that I have conducted, I do think that I am better regarding myself as being a ‘new’ researcher as I did not undertake any of this kind of learning before my research project – everything was already funded before I started! Within my department there is not always formal research, although my colleagues did use the Delphi research method for determining the best approach to performance & talent management. I also have the benefit of having colleagues who work in educational research to connect with.
 
Scoping the research problem - There are some interesting thoughts here. The reference to Mallik and McGowan about workplace learning is potentially very helpful, although some care will be needed for drawing similarities. How feasible any research will be in my area will sometimes depend on people’s willingness to provide feedback, which is not always guaranteed as people are busy in the workplace. I will have to be careful to make use of different methodologies, as I will have to continue researching towards my dissertation.

References:
  • Creswell, J. W. (2009). Research Design: qualitative, quantitative and mixed methods approaches. (3rd edition) Sage.
  • Ke, F. and Hoadley, C. (2009). Evaluating Online Learning Communities. Educational Technology Research and Development, 57(4), pp.487-510.
  • Newby, P. (2010). Research Methods for Education. Pearson.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment